Although phone batteries have come a long way in the past few years, they are still not built to last forever. While smartphones have advanced at a rapid rate, no longer falling prey to underperformance after passing their second birthday, phone batteries can’t offer the same performance over time, simply because they are a consumable component. Like all rechargeable batteries, phone batteries hold less power, and become less effective as they age, which usually starts happening after about 18 to 24 months. Most smartphone batteries offer about 300 to 500 charging cycles.
Here are a few signs that it might be time to replace your smartphone battery:
- Is your phone losing its charge a lot quicker than it used to? If you used to still be at 60% round midday, even after extensive use, and you’re now at 40% while chewing on your lunchtime sarmie, then it might be time to say cheers to the battery you’re using.
- Is your phone losing about 10% of charge within 20 minutes after unplugging it from the charger? A few percentage points of battery drop is okay, but a more significant drop might be signs of a bigger problem.
- Is your phone refusing to charge completely, no matter how long you leave it in the charger? This might mean it’s time for out with the old (battery) and in with the new.
- Does your phone feel hotter than usual while charging? This is because a deteriorating battery generates heat. If this is happening, then it’s definitely time to get a new battery.
Huawei’s battery replacement offer 1 – 30 June
For Huawei smartphone users, an easy battery replacement is within their reach, with Huawei’s special battery replacement promotion from 1 to 30 June.
If your Huawei phone is out of warranty, Huawei is giving you the opportunity to replace your phone battery for just R199. If your phone is covered by Huawei’s two-year warranty, Huawei will also replace the battery – for free. Both offers include a free labour charge of R400; these days it’s crucial to get your battery replaced by the professionals, as most smartphones are not easy to open yourself.
Huawei Service Day
Huawei also offers what they call Huawei Service Day, which runs in the last week of every month from Thursday to Sunday. This includes:
- Free Exterior Phone Cleaning
- Free Screen Protectors
- Free Out-of-warranty Labour Charge (you only pay for parts replacement）
- Free Software Support
Phones models included in both these offers are:
- Y-Series – Y3 2018, Y5 PRIME 2018, Y7 2018
- P-Series – P8 lite 2017, P8 lite, P9, P10, P10 Plus, P20 Pro, P20, P20 lite
The battery replacement service and Huawei Service Day are available at all Huawei Customer Service Centres:
- Johannesburg Shop H37G,The Piazza, Melrose Arch
- Cape Town Shop 96, Canal Walk Shopping Centre, Century Boulevard, Century City
- Cape Town Shop G 231, Somerset Mall, Centenary Dr, Somerset West
- Durban Shop U91, Cornubia Dr, Mount Edgecombe Country Estate 2, Mount Edgecombe