The 17th of February marks National Random Acts of Kindness Day, a day to practice kindness and pay it forward.
This day has been considered to be a core value of most religions and cultures, as kindness is the act of showing concern for others, loved ones and strangers, without any expectations of any consideration in return.
At SPARK Schools, the teachers and scholars live by a set of core values, one of which is Kindness. These core values are essential to nurturing SPARK Schools scholars who will shape a better future society. These are the five core values that make up the acronym SPARK:
- Service: SPARK Scholars are active citizens in their classrooms, communities, and country. They dedicate time and effort to serving those in need and approach challenges with a team mindset.
- Persistence: SPARK Scholars never give up. They relentlessly pursue their academic and personal goals, tackling problems with an optimistic attitude and determination.
- Achievement: SPARK Scholars accomplish their academic goals, putting them on a trajectory toward university and successful careers. They are intellectually curious and have a genuine love of learning.
- Responsibility: SPARK Scholars demonstrate self-control and are accountable for their actions. They pay attention, follow directions, complete assignments, and seek to understand how their actions impact others.
- Kindness: SPARK Scholars treat themselves and others with respect and dignity. They are generous and value their relationships with peers and teachers alike.
Image 1: Eating Together at School Builds Connections
Pictured here are SPARK School scholars eating lunch together.
Children are generally shy little humans and eating together gives them a chance to learn more words and how to communicate better. SPARK Schools encourages their scholars to eat together and connect with one another in kind manner as this gives them a sense of belonging and connectedness.
Image 2: Protection as an act of kindness is an experience that fosters trust between scholar and staff
Pictured here is a SPARK Schools scholar tying her shoelaces and a staff member waiting with her and ensuring she’s not alone by the roadside.
Image 3: A little spark of kindness can put a colossal burst of sunshine into someone’s day!
Pictured here is SPARK Schools teacher Tebogo Tsimane showing kindness by celebrating a win with scholar Bokang Komape which goes a long way in developing
social and emotional learning.
Image 4: The power of embrace
Pictured here is a group of SPARK Schools scholars showing kindness and acceptance of one another.
For many of these scholars, a simple hug can change their outlook on their day.